Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Vauxhall..engine management light..loses power..Fault code

I have a 04 plate Vauxhall Vetra 2.0 DTI. The engine management light is staying on all the time and sometimes the car loses power. Fault code read saying it was the barometric sensor that has now been changed but has made no difference. Any help would be great!! Thanks!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Can you first please just confirm what the light looks like??

Too - do you know the exact fault code per chance?

Lastly - who did the work for you ...and has a diagnostic test been done after fitting the sensor?

Rgds MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

The light looks like a little engine and sometmes a spanner light flashes.

I dont Know the fault code but could find it out in the morning.

My local garage has been doing the work for me and yes another dianostic test has been done and that came back as the same.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

Ok thats good re the light ....I asked because on the Vauxhalls they have different ones - some people get the service light mixed up. The one with the car - with a spanner vertically through it - that is the EML for sure.. engine management light...meaning fault codes / faults are there...

As the code whatever it is is coming back - and the sensor is new - that usually means a fault then either with the wiring - or the sensors connection... not necessarily the actual sensor.

Too - on these - it might mot be a fault at all..with that sensor...it can be in these , a red herring..

Ask the garage to check the clutch pedal return spring - this is a common fault - that will put the EML on - without a specific fault code....so its worth just checking that - in case...and then go from there..

The other common fault - very common on these - is a software fault in the Ecu - engine management computer... This can only be checked with Vauxhall dealer - or dealer level equipment - capable of checking / updating the ecu software - programming for the ecu... which cures errant and persistent incorrect fault codes on this system...

So they need to double check the wiring - the wiring loom and connections/ pins - and wiring to the pins under the rubber boot ...

Obviously if they find a fault there and cure it - that will be that...

If not - check the clutch spring too - ( this affects the clutch micro switch which is connected into the engine management system )

If not that either - then I recommend you have the software checked as above and Im sure that that will cure this for you...

I'm very pleased to have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.