Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

I am going to look at a second hand clio sport 182..reg..serviced

I am going to look at a second hand clio sport 182 with a view to buying. Its 2005 reg but only has 28500 miles on the clock. Although apparently fully serviced the cam belt has not been changed. Can you advise on any specific things to look for or questions to be asked. Also even with the low mileage will the cam belt need changing

Thanks

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

It is advised that you have the timing belt (and the tensioner pulley and guide pulley) be replaced.

Billy :

As renault states that your timing belt needs replacement at 72,000 miles or five years (which ever comes first)....

Billy :

As for specific items to check on this model:

Billy :

- check for any rattling noise from top of engine on cold start, as this means the camshaft actuator is faulty, thus needs replacing, and the engine control module reprogramming.

Billy :

- ask or check if the engine cuts out intermittently, as this is mostly caused by a faulty crankshaft sensor.

Billy :

These would be the specific checks.......and other than that, you need to check the following:

Billy :

- check engine oil on dipstick, for up to norm quality and quantity.

Billy :

- check coolant levels

Billy :

- check the engine bay for any apparent work done (wires taped together, or silicone apparent on parts etc...) and ask what was done to the vehicle......

Billy :

- service history would be a great asset.

Billy :

- test drive the vehicle, and make sure, that cold starts are fine, and there are no noises while driving, and check for the smoothness of gear changes.

Customer:

thanks a lot Billy, fingers crossed

Billy :

Good luck!!!