vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Experience:  over 25 years from viva to vectra

Vauxhall Combo I have problems starting my 2005 Vauxhall Combo

I have problems starting my 2005 Vauxhall Combo 1.3CDTi van. It turns over and fires but then immeadiately dies. Starter motor then turns it over continually but it does not fire. Tried jump leads to give it more "oomph" but still does not even fire. The only way to then start it is tow it about 1/2 mile in 2nd gear before it finally bursts into life and then runs perfectly fine. Once warm starts again okay untill left for a few hours to get fully cold.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer , There are two common things that cause poor cold starting on this engine first is a sticking EGR valve , sometimes this type of valve can be cleaned but on this engine it is a very time consuming and a bit of a nightmare to change so if you were going to take it off its best replacing with a new one .

Next is a stretched timing chain , the sign of this is that it will wind and wind then eventually start when the tensioner has filled with oil , it will then start all day until left overnight and the oil drains out of the chain tensioner.

From your description I would be inclined to go for the timing chain

I hope this helps , best regards XXXXX XXXXX