Billy
Billy , Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

To time up the timing chain as the inlet cam wheel..sat..timing marks

Customer Question

I have a Corsa 53 plate 1200cc 16v.
I need to know how to time up the timing chain as the inlet cam wheel has moved and it needs to be re-sat into the correct position plus please can you tell me where are the timing marks?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

To do this job properly, you need some special tools, by Kent Moore......I will however post the detailed instructions and diagrams, which will include the special tools needed to do this right.

Billy :

Good luck!

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

JACUSTOMER-828kv9bn- :

I can't set the wheels as they are already apart plus the inlet cam wheel has moved. I need to know where I can set the cams

Billy :

You need to turn the cams as to have closed valves on the first cylinder, and balancing open valves on the fourth cylinder....the crankshaft should be turned to have the first and fourth pistons at TDC (the crankshaft pulley at mark)....And then you should put the cam pulley or sprocket on marks.

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

JACUSTOMER-828kv9bn- :

Thanks. I now need to know what the exhaust cam should be set at. Closed on no1 and open on no4? as well?

Billy :

The exhaust cam as well as the intake would have to be closed at one........and at number four you would have the balance, which means the exhaust is closing (still open) and the intake is opening.......