Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hi there I have a vauxhall corsa c 2001 1.2 16v engine my problem

Customer Question

hi there I have a vauxhall corsa c 2001 1.2 16v engine my problem is the engine has developed a problem it has has pumped all the oil from the sump out threw the air breather in a matter off minutes then it dies can you help
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

I'd start by doing a compression check on all cylinders- they should all be within 10-15psi of each other

If this is OK then check the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the info will pass this on to the garage man as he has'nt a clue what the problem is he was talking about taking the head off is there any need

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

Do the compression check 1st as this will show if the head needs to come off

If you do have a cylinder thats got low compression its likely the piston rings are broken and combustion gas is rushing past the piston and pressurising the sump and so forcing the oil out of the breather
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the help one more question will the engine be ok or will i need to replace it if it has run out off oil

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

If the low oil pressure light has come on at any point then its possible that the crank bearings and camshaft may be damaged

If it flickered on briefly then you'll be OK

However this is providing that the piston bores are OK as a broken piston ring can damage /scratch the bore this can be repaired by stripping it down , machining the piston bore out and fitting bigger pistons but its often more cost effective to source a good 2nd hand engine for less than this,

I'd imagine a 2nd hand engine costs for this year and model would be around 600-£800 depending on milage
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just to let u no the head was cracked that was what cause my problem
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for letting me know