Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

I have a citroen xzara car and the central locking..battery went flat

I have a citroen xzara car and the central locking has stopped working after the battery went flat, any advice
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Can you please clarify if this is the Xsara - or Xsara Picasso...?

Kind Rgds - MIKE...................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son left a light on in the car and the battery went flat, when we got the battery going again the fob would not work. The battery went flat again due to a fan belt breakage and this time the central locking refuses to work

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son left a light on in the car and the battery went flat, when we got the battery going again the fob would not work. The battery went flat again due to a fan belt breakage and this time the central locking refuses to work. The car is a xsara, not a picasso

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

Ok - what you will have to do is try re synchronizing the keys to the car..

To do this - do the following ..

Switch the Ign ON.. Press and hold the LOCK button - for 10 secs... ( timings are important )

Switch the Ign OFF.

Wait 3 secs.. and then the procedure is complete and the key should now work - repeat that procedure with the the other keys.

IF this doesn't work - check the fuses ...

If the fuse is ok - then it will have to be reprogrammed using diagnostic equipment Im afraid as the repeated flat battery has scrambled the programming...

.Obviously I cant see or test it - I am going off what you have described to me .. so that is my conclusion based on your description of the faults -

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response, Ihave tried what you said, and the fob will open the door when locked by pressing the lock button, the open button doesn't seem to work. With the key it only locks the drivers side door, and the rest remain unlocked but opens all the doors when i unlock with the key from the drivers side. Don't know where fuses are or if they need changing, or how to do it.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply - message...

The control module for the CDL system appears scrambled at best - faulty at worst...

I will give you a reset procedure for the electronic control module - follow this very carefully.. If it wil reset - it will. If it wont - you will have to have the system checked using dealer or dealer level diagnostic equipment.

It wont be a fuse if some it is working as you describe...

So here is the procedure - follow it through to the letter for it to have a chance of working :

1. The very first step is to unplug any diagnostic tool from the vehicle.Skip this step if none is fitted.
  2. Make sure all the gadgets are switched off, the driver's window lowered down and open the bonnet.
  3. Then close all the doors and take off the key from ignition.
  4. After a 3 minute interval, unplug the vehicle's battery terminals and wait for a further 15 seconds.
  5. Attach back the battery terminals and give a 10 second pause making sure the doors are closed.
  6. Turn the side lights on.
  7. Now turn the engine on and inspect the system functioning.
  8. Press and hold down the lock button on the key for 10 seconds.
  9. Check the central locking system by unlocking and locking the door consecutively.
  10. Turn the engine on again and finish inspecting the system.

Following any other procedure could cause malfunctioning of different units which depend on BSI.

Method for unplugging the battery:

1. Before unplugging the battery, turn off all gadgets and lights, closing all the doors and unplugging any kind of diagnostic tool. The drivers side window has to be kept open for any kind of requirement.
  2. Turn off the ignition and take out the key following which unplug the battery after an interval of 3 minutes.
  3. The BSI needs to be taken to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened that time as it can ‘wake up' the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go to Sleep Mode. During this 3 minute interval, use of any remote control central locking gadgets for other vehicles should be avoided in the vicinity of the concerned vehicle.

Method for connecting the battery:

The following procedure is for reinstalling the battery connection unless told otherwise by Peugeot or Product service. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the BSI's embedded software during reconnection.

1. All the doors have to be closed with the ignition key turned off and the key taken out.
  2. Now without opening the doors, replug the battery and wait for 10 seconds.
  3. Turn on the headlights, turn on the engine and inspect the system's functioning.

If you have a coded type radio - you will need to re enter the radio code so be sure you have that before doing the above.

After doing the above - if that all works, thats that done. If not - you will have to have it on a diagnostic machine to get to the bottom of this...as there is nothing else you can do on a diy basis ..

I hope that helps you further - Please dont forget the Accept button for me - Thank you - and all the best with it ...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.