Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Peugeot 206CC My Peugeot 206CC wont start and I am getting

My Peugeot 206CC won't start and I am getting the Engine Immobiliser Fault warning. This has been a regular intermittent problem, but the car has eventually started after several tries. However I have recently had my local garage take a look at it and run it through the engine diagnostics and they have told me that there is not a problem with the ECU / BSI. They managed to narrow it down to a wiring problem but have said the only way to find exactly where the fault lies is to do what they have called a 'Wiggle test' but they warned me that this is time consuming and potentially expensive. They advised me to persevere with the car until matters came to a head and it wouldn't start at all - this now seems to have happened!
So, my question to you is - what exactly is a 'Wiggle test' and is it likely to find a solution to this Peugeot 206 problem? Having looked online I know the immobiliser fault is very common but there seem to be many different solutions sugested!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

Well.......the wiggle test is quite simply wiggling the suspected wiring harness (moving it left and right), and see if the problem goes away when you wiggle........

Billy :

And once the problem goes away....you have found the faulty location.....you would start wiggling each wire on its own...till you get to the wire that seems to make the problem come and go.....

Billy :

Once you have that.....you replace the faulty wire.....and the system should work fine....

Billy :

But in your case, since the immobiliser light is on........it means that fault codes are stored in the immobilizer module.....thus a scan test using a scan tool, should retrieve the codes.......and the codes should pinpoint the problem much faster.....at least you would know which wiring or circuit to start checking.....

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy