Trevor Witting
Trevor Witting, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
15853224

A grand scenic megane 07 automatic..limp mode..warning light..gearbox

I have a grand scenic megane 07 automatic. I have only had it for a couple of months (was a disability car before that). over the last few weeks when using the car from cold it goes into limp mode with a warning light reading check gearbox. If I stop and restart everything is OK, but it may do it again a couple of times. It them stops and is fine until left idle for several hours.

I have heard that this is a common fault. It was put on a diagnostic computer but not fault code can up and no evidence of any history of fault. Can this be repaired and will it damage the car further if I kept driving it like this?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Trevor Witting replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Welcome to Just Answer

It sounds as though you have low gearbox fluid level.

As transmission fluid warms up, it expands, and as it does so the level sensor will sense that the level is above the minimum instead of below as it is when cold.

You need to check underneath for leaks in the transmission, if none are found, then check the level, this needs to be done from underneath, and level, so it is probably a good idea to get a garage to do this.

If you keep using it like this, you could end up with loss of drive an possibly gearbox damage.

If you want to do it yourself, then below is the diagram of how to check it.

Hope this helps, if you need more assistance, please let me know.

Regards

Trev

graphic

Trevor Witting, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Trev

Thanks for this. if no leaks and level is low. I take it, it will be filled at the same point?

Regards

Keith