Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Audi Q7 When I operate rear washer/wiper on my 2008 Q7 S Line

When I operate rear washer/wiper on my 2008 Q7 S Line TDI I can hear pump run but water trickles down accelerator pedal. Had look under dash from footwell and down from engine compartment but couldn't see anything revealing. Help please. Bill Sinclair
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The washer pipe does run from the bottle up through that area - up through under the dash through the body box section and up through the car....

Im afraid it looks as though its popped its joint.. there are joints / joiners in the pipe along its run... and this is likely to have happened due to the ice conditions...

Whatever the cause though it will have to be got at and sorted out - but its not easy....and very time consuming..

As the car is an 08 and therefore under warranty.. I really would recommend having the supplying ( or local ) dealer sort this problem for you - and too - the carpets - under material ..sound deadening will likely need removing and drying out so it can turn into quite a task....

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike. Checked with my local Audi service dept and they tell me that this type of problem is not covered by the warrenty.

I know the joint has popped because I can see the fluid running down in the accelerator area. Can I ask again, where is the pipe likely to have popped and how do I get to it. Telling me to go see the dealer is not an answer worth $18.

Do I take off the slash guard in the wheel arch?

Do I work from under the dash?

Do I work from the engine compartment?

Failing that, please refund my $18 and the dealer will have to fix it for me.

Kind regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

The washer bottle and motor is up under the wheel arch - so you have to remove the road wheel and liner to gain access to the washer bottle / motor and tubing...

Then you can follow the routing of the tubing where it enters the vehicle which you will see enters up through the engine compartment through the bulkhead and through into the interior of the vehicle....

You will need to do as above if you wish to replace the pipe or at least check it through to the motor... Or you can start by just removing the panels up above where the drivers feet go - and you will then see where the tubing enters the interior of the vehicle and then be able to deal with it there...

You will usually see where the water has been running down because it leaves water marks / stains and looking up from there , you can see the pipe ..and deal with it there... It is basically coming into the vehicle through the bulkhead and behind the plastic panels which you will have to remove to access it and repair it....

Incidentally - the reason I advised you to see the dealer.. was because I believed it should be under warranty - and I still do. Therefore , if that were the case, one , it would have saved you doing the job and two, they dont like you even touching anything that is under warranty - they can claim the warranty is void if people carry out their own repairs. It was not a flippant "take it to the dealer" comment / answer.

If they insist it is not a warranty job for whatever reason, then you can carry out the repairs as above - but I would double check that - because I do not see any reason why that should not be covered on the warranty.

Rgds - MIKE

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike. Thank you for your response and I'm very happy with your detailed guide to help me resolve the problem with the Q7.

Audi right away declined any responsibilty to this kind of issue, citing among other things, they have no control over the washer solution I used. Could just be water, they said. They have quoted me a price of 50 to 75 pounds for about 1 to 1.5 hours to do the job.

I accept your reason for recommending the warranty route and appologise if I irritated you, not my intention. I will try Audi again and confirm that my attempted repair will not void my warranty.

If I may, I'll let you know how I got on. Some warmer weather is forcast (Glasgow) and I'll have a go then.

Kindest regards

Bill

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply. I have been off over the holiday period so I have just received it.

The justanswer system can very often be just like I keep telling my daughter re "texting"... wrong impressions can easily be formed - when nothing was meant..

I understand what you are saying - you didn't irritate me - if anything its just difficult sometimes to get "meanings" across - so no worries as they say ;)

I hope all goes well for you - I think Audi are being very obstructive for you ... considering the price these vehilces cost - and they still want more out of people ! I would be being "rather firm" with them.....

Again - I hope all goes well ... and all the very best to you ..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.