Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Volkswagen: Polo..EPC warning light appeared on dash..even attempt

<p>Started volkswagen Polo 2001 this morning and was iddling for approx 15mins. Car suddenly stopped and EPC warning light appeared on dash. Car will now not start or even attempt to start. Check all internal fuses under steering wheel and three fuses on top of battery but all ok. Brake lights are all working. car has been trouble free and rely on it for christmas so any help greatly appreciated Stevie</p><p>This car is in UK and was in -15 temp the morning it stopped working  -thought fan may have frozen up and tripped a fuse but could not find fault.</p>

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

Billy :

The EPC warning light is a very good thing in your case...

Billy :

As it shows that error(s) have been stored in ECU (engine control module), and these will probably pinpoint the problem.

Billy :

So the fastest way to deal with this, would be to have the car scanned, retrieve the error codes, and take it from there...

Billy :

However, if you would like to tackle this yourself, let me explain some important info:

Billy :

The reasons for an engine not to start, would be one of the following (i will exclude fuses, as you checked these):

Billy :

- broken engine ground cable (thick cable from chassis to engine)

Billy :

- faulty camshaft or crankshaft sensor

Billy :

- faulty fuel pump or fuel pump relay

Billy :

- faulty immobilizer (however this would trigger the immobilizer warning light on dash)

Billy :

So if you need to check for yourself, check these....but again, the easiest and fastest way would be to have the codes retrieved via a scantool...

Billy :

And make sure that engine is turning properly and not faster than normal (as this would indicate a timing belt issue)

Billy :

Merry Christmas!!!

Billy :

Regards,

Billy :

Billy

Customer:

Billy the car was driving normally until it was parked for 4 days due to bad weather and freezing conditions - is it normal for one of the sensors or relays to suddenly pack in when the car is started. When turning the ignition key you can hear one single click. I need info on how I can get car started even temporarily so that I can go to garage to get it scanned. Is this possible

Customer:

Billy

Billy :

is the starter not even turning?

Billy :

or is it turning but engine not firing?

Customer:

Billy I need to know if their is a way of getting the car started so that i can get it to the garage to be scanned. I know it needs scanned but I was hoping for advice on how I could get it go even temporarily so I can get it to a grage as it cannot be towed.

Billy :

is the starter turning?

Customer:

No the starter isn't making any noise at all however it did start first time this morning prior to packing in

Billy :

Ok, well then you need to check the following:

Billy :

- check engine ground cable (thick cable from chassis to engine),

Billy :

- try starting using a spare key (as it may be an immobilizer fault)

Billy :

If these do not solve the problem, then you cannot start the engine temporarily, as to start the engine you need to replace faulty part (e.g. crankshaft sensor), for the engine to start......

Billy :

But there is a big probability that engine ground cable is broken, or the immobilizer faulty, as the starter won't even turn.........

Customer:

Will try that tomorrow cheers XXXXX XXXXX help payment to follow