Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Mercedes-Benz Atego 815 I have a Mercedes Atego lorry which

I have a Mercedes Atego lorry which has regularly had in the last year an EDC warning light coming on, the code is MR1250 (I think) It has been to 2 Merc dealerships recently and they cannot tell me what is causing this problem. Any ideas? Secondly, I have just had to have a new dashboard as the old one was blown by a power surge - could this be related to the EDC light coming on all the time? It usually comes on around half way through a journey. This lorry is a horse lorry and has light use and is well maintained. Any help gratefully received!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The only way the dash problem you had would have anything to do with the EDC light , would be if it were some other electrical fault down the line as it were - in the wiring, or, with the control unit side of the system ( Edc ..)

I doubt that - but it is a possibility...

The Edc is the Electronic Diesel control.. I can tell you that if the vehicle is running fine otherwise.. I know drivers and fitters alike that take the bulb out ! Now , I can't recommend that of course - but I mention it......

The EDC system is full of sensors etc ..and its likely a sensor issue -though it will light if the filter is partially clogging .. so , if its due a service at all - it may be as well doing that ...and running through some diesel system cleaner - as injectors clogging -even partially, will put that light on...

I have known owners spend horrible amounts of money on trying to get that light out - even though all is running well ... In such a case , its usually a control unit fault to be honest - but can honestly be ignored... if you want an honest opinion... especially of the dealer diagnostic machines cannot trace it....

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mike, that is enormously helpful. Just on the dashboard subject. The same lorry had a new dash approximately 3-4 years ago as it just packed up one day, so it is rather galling to have to fork out (£1000) for another one now! It seems odd that the dashboard should blow twice in 4 years, is this a general problem with computerised dashes or rather symptomatic of an undiagnosed underlying electrical fault? The latest fault was caused by a 'power surge' according to the mechanic. As mentioned previously the lorry has been regularly serviced by Merc dealerships with good reputations, plugged in to all the relevant diagnostic machines etc.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX thanks,

Sharon

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.... Thank you for your reply...

This is a very common problem these days with these dash cluster units yes - on most all vehilces... and the Atego does suffer with it... very common..

I will give you a contact - this is a company that specialises in the test / repair and reconditioning of these units... and they will give you a full warranty etc.. at a price much less than the £1000. you mentioned....

Plus, you have added bonus that it being your own unit, it retains the mileage and doesn't have to be coded to the vehicle, saving coding costs....

Their contact number is XXXXX 0 1 6 3 4 - 6 8 7 2 2 2 ...

They operate a postal service / courier so you would have it back , done in 24 / 48 hours....

I hope that helps you further ... I recommend them as doing a good job at a good price....

Best Rgds, MIKE....

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.