Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Citroen Citroen Zsara Dashboard warning lights. When ignition

Dashboard warning lights. When ignition is switched on and handbrake on all waning lights
are on. When handbrake off oil warning light goes off but handbrake warning light stops on.
When engine started all lights go off. How can this be rectified?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The problem here is usually caused by a glitch in the Bsi - main electronic unit on the Citroen models... or, a fault..

The way forward with this is to try a re set / reboot.. and I will give you the procedure -

Try the following - and all being well it work - but if not, you will have to have the vehicle connected to a plug in diagnostic machine to trace the fault that way - as there is nothing else you can do with these systems on a Diy basis Im afraid...

So here is the procedure - follow it through to the letter and all should reset properly again then....

Method for starting the BSI:

1. The very first step is to unplug the diagnostic tool from the vehicle.
  2. Make sure all the gadgets are switched off, the driver's window lowered down and open the bonnet.
  3. Then close all the doors and take off the key from ignition.
  4. After a 3 minute interval, unplug the vehicle's battery terminals and wait for a further 15 seconds.
  5. Attach back the battery terminals and give a 10 second pause making sure the doors are closed.
  6. Turn the side lights on.
  7. Now turn the engine on and inspect the system functioning.
  8. Press and hold down the lock button on the key for 10 seconds.
  9. Check the central locking system by unlocking and locking the door consecutively.
  10. Turn the engine on again and finish inspecting the system.

Following any other procedure could cause malfunctioning of different units which depend on BSI.

Method for unplugging the battery:

1. Before unplugging the battery, turn off all gadgets and lights, closing all the doors and unplugging any kind of diagnostic tool. The drivers side window has to be kept open for any kind of requirement.
  2. Turn off the ignition and take out the key following which unplug the battery after an interval of 3 minutes.
  3. The BSI needs to be taken to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened that time as it can ‘wake up' the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go to Sleep Mode. During this 3 minute interval, use of any remote control central locking gadgets for other vehicles should be avoided in the vicinity of the concerned vehicle.

Method for connecting the battery:

The following procedure is for reinstalling the battery connection unless told otherwise by Peugeot or Product service. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the BSI's embedded software during reconnection.

1. All the doors have to be closed with the ignition key turned off and the key taken out.
  2. Now without opening the doors, replug the battery and wait for 10 seconds.
  3. Turn on the headlights, turn on the engine and inspect the system's functioning.

Again - I hope this works for you and is worth a try - but if not - it will have to have the diagnostics done as above..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
\
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please explain how I unplug diagnostic tool?

Remote control buttons broken on key what do I do about that?

Wnen it says turn on and inspect the sysetm functioning when do I switch off berore

turning on to inspect system again?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

Ignore the ref to the diagnostic tool - thats there for if you have one connected -while diagnosing the issue...

As regards XXXXX XXXXX buttons - this is for checking the operation of the CDL - central locking..so you can bypass that stage..

Re your last question - If I understand you correctly.. you will have had the key turned off from the beginning..as in "stage 3 " of the first paragraph -of instructions.....

I hope that clarifies things for you -

Best Rgds - MIKE.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.