Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

How can I open the fuel cap manually?

How can I open the fuel cap manually?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Please confirm - is this the standard C4 - or the Picasso? or any other derivation...

Plus - what exactly is the problem you have ?

Rgds - MIKE.........................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a C4 Picasso
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again...

Ok, the first thing to check if the button isn't working / opening the flap, is fuse 39 a 5 amp fuse - which is in the fascia fuse box - under the passenger side dash vent - open the door down to access it.. and check / replace the fuse if needed.

If thats not the problem - then there is a fault with the flap / door - and the problem that occurs here with these is that as you know, the door incorporates the seal for the tank filler , a rubber "plunger" and what has happened is that a vacuum has built up and its sucking the door closed - over sucking making it closed to tight...

The usual way round this to open it -is to press on the fuel flap door inwards gently but firmly - keep doing it harder and harder - pressing and releasing...and this distorts the rubber seal - allowing the vacuum to release, and then the door will open.

You can then get fuel in - and use the car and sort the problem later.. Speak to a Citroen dealer - see what they have to say. They do know about the problem...and while it isn't an "official " fix.. I know some people drill a small hole in the top of the rubber seal to stop this happening...

But thats the way to get the door open if the fuse is ok..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.