Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

ldv maxus van speedo is not working have changed the speedo

Customer Question

van speedo is not working have changed the speedo clock and the drive in the gear box still not working also hav checket the fuses
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

When you say "drive in the gearbox" - please tell me exactly what part you are referring too?

Rgds - MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

aparantly their is a speedo drive in gearbox that has been changed

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

Yes indeed there is - I just needed to be sure..

That "drive" is driven by the cogs in the gearbox - that in turn, operates a VSS...speed sensor - which in turn , operates the speedo ( clock )..

Its an easy task for a garage - with suitable diagnostic equipment - to plug on and see if a signal is being produced from the VSS... and if it is - then the problem is , normally with the clock...cluster.. - If you are positive the clock / cluster is ok, then if you so have a signal from the VSS, that proves that is ok and the "drive" is ok...and hence the problem is with wiring / circuit , in between .

If there is no signal - then its a faulty VSS - certainly so if you havn't changed that and that is the common suspect.

If there is no signal - and the VSS is new or proven to be ok - then you have to check that the drive that has been fitted in the gearbox - is actually working - ie, being driven, by the gearbox.

So working through the above, you will get to the bottom of this.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.