Matt , Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my microcar cuts..If I keep the gas pedal down, it will stall...sits

Customer Question

My microcar cuts out on half throttle. If I keep the gas pedal down, it will stall. If i pull the choke, it runs okay.It sits on tickover with no choke fine too. It started doing it in the middle of a journey. whats going on?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello

I'm surprised that you can get a car with a carb in this day but then this isn't a regular car.

Sounds like that either the carb has a blocked jet somewhere in which case its best to strip it down and get it all a good clean out / blow through with some carb cleaner and an airline

Also check for any vacuum leaks after the carb on the inlet manifold

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.