Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Audi A3 Audi 1.6 petrol engine nearly 6 years old 42,000 mls

Audi 1.6 petrol engine nearly 6 years old 42,000 mls when does cam belt need changing service manual says 80,000mls no mention of age of car audi say notwithstanding low mileage should be changed at 5 years ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer Uk Car..

The latest recommendation from Audi is replacement of the timing belt on your A3 at 75,000 miles - or - at 5 years - whichever is the sooner.

That information / advice from Audi covers all the three different engine codes fitted to that variant .. ie , BSF - BSE and BGU.

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told this already ! Are Audi simply trying to recoup some costs as they have reduced the service costs a fair amount ? this is a very expensive item !

what is your professional opinion ? and what options do I have >
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, Thank you for your reply...

You asked re the change intervals for the timing belt... I therefore gave you Audi recommendations - to qualify what you have been told already - if nothing else..

I cant tell you anything different on that ... It seems it agrees with what you have been told - albeit 5000 miles difference...

Audi are not trying to re coup the costs... You have said that the car has 42,000 miles - and is 6 years old... It is therefore 1 year overdue for a timing belt.

My professional opinion then is - you need to get it changed as soon as possible..

As to options- You can use a small type garage - which will save you money over Audi charges /costs...

Other than that - there are no options - It is 1 year over due for its timing belt - and leaving it risks it breaking and causing severe engine damage.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you .

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

Edited by Mike on 11/5/2010 at 12:36 PM EST