Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Merc e270 cdi engine wont rev over 2500 rpm , is it a turbo problem

merc e270 cdi engine wont rev over 2500 rpm , is it a turbo problem ?? thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

It could be a turbo problem yes but there is every chance it could be other things - problems with the fuel supply or injectors, injection pump or timing etc - or that for some reason, its in restricted running mode..

You can usually tell if the turbo is coming in when driving it- the turbo should come in around 17/1800 rpm - and you will feel the turbo make the car surge / pick up speed at that point on the road...

If that happens the turbo is generally ok - you would likely hear noises etc from the turbo area if there are mechanical problems with it and / or smoke - or both from the exhaust ( excess smoke ) etc...

I would suggest that the very best thing to do would be to have the car plugged on to a diagnostic machine - ideally a dealer or dealer level machine at another garage and have them check the systems that way..

These cars' have excellent diagnostic capabilities and on running the tests that way , it will pick up the reason for the faults you describe. Maybe not by fault codes - there likely wont be any codes if there are no lights or messages on the dash but in live data test mode, it will find the fault for that way...

There really isn't much you can do on these engines / systems on a Diy basis -- You can of course make general checks for ill fitting pipes / vacuum pipes / split pipes etc - all of which would cause that - -so do that by all means but if you don't find anything like that - having the diagnostics done as above will soon determine your problem and then it can be sorted out forthwith. That , on this model is the best way forward, cost effective and will quickly sort it for you.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks Mike , just a bit more info , << When i rev the engine should I be able to get the revs past 2500 or does the fact that i cant suggest that the engine is running in restricted mode as you have already described . I just bought the car and a friend of mine took it for a test drive and laughed at the lack of revs and power comparing it to his own 2004 cdi and suggested that the revs should be atleast approaching 4000 rpm . I think its time to plug it in and see .
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

Yes you should be able to get it past 2500 rpm just reving it - as well as driving it.. Its not restricted to that - or shouldn't be - unless it is in restricted mode induced by the Ecu because of a fault... although , as I mentioned, if thats the case, there would normally be a fault light on the dash...

I have to say though that I have known some do that ( be in restricted / limp mode ) even without the light on! so - its either that - or a fault as mentioned above causing it--

So yes - its definitely in need of the plug in diagnostics ...unless its something as simple as in dire need of a service - ie, clogging air filter / fuel filters will also cause this - so if you think thats a possibility - you could do / have that done first and go from there then if still necessary...

I hope that helps you further but let me know if I can help still more -

Best Rgds - MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike , I promise this is the last question , but could it possibly be the mass airflow meter . Thanks again

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Good morning..

Thats fine no problem...

Yes - its a possibility yes... To test that - disconnect the wiring plug off the air flow meter - and then see how it runs... If the power is "restored" ( it might idle badly etc ) - but if the power is restored in that it will then rev over 2500... then fit a new meter - it certainly would look to be that then ..so its worth a try.

If it is that - I would advise fitting a genuine one - as aftermarket ones can be , well, troublesome...

Let me know if you need anything more..

Best Rgds - MIKE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the mass airflow meter fitted , just a general ball park , thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
HI..

Its located in the large piping coming out of the air filter box -

Click the image below to help you ..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Kind Rgds, MIKE

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.