vauxdoc
vauxdoc , vauxhall master tech
Experience:  over 25 years from viva to vectra
10908802

Hi, I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI. It has 102,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI. It has 102,000 miles. I was driving home along the motorway this evening and the Battery light illuminated on the dash. Just as I got home the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering went stiff.
I turned the engine off and when I tried to start it again, there was just clicking noise and the lights on the dash flickered.
Using an emergency starter kit, I started the car again but as soon as I took the kit off of the battery terminals the battery warning light came on followed by the power steering etc. How can I tell if the battery needs replacing or the alternator is knackered??

Regards
Category: UK Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer , There is a known fault on this engine and it will be an alternator failure hence the light on while driving , this was very common on this year so much so that Vauxhall launched a rework replacing alternators on the affected range.

As your car is over 3 years or 60,000 miles it will be out of warranty.

The first thing you will need to do will be to re-charge the battery , a jump start will not work because as you say it stalls when the boost pack is removed , after this you will be able to test the charging voltage with a multi meter , not running it should be 12 volts and running 14.8 volts , if as suspected an alternator fault there will be no increase when started up.

I hope this helps , best regards XXXXX XXXXX