Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

I have a SMART car with a Grundig radio which is in SAFE mode.

Customer Question

I have a SMART car with a Grundig radio which is in SAFE mode. I have the code but I cannot get the radio to let me enter the code. CAn you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  jon-t replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
jon-t :

Hi and welcome to just answer, the radio needs to be powered down and re-booted so you can enter the pin code. To do this the battery needs to be disconnected for 15 mins, I advise you to remove the earth wire from the battery to carry this out.

Expert:  jon-t replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  jon-t replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already disconnected the radio and removed it from the car whilst I searched the internet for about an hour.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I had already tried the solution that was offered by Jon-T and he/she has not responded to my follow up information..
I had already tried the solution that was offered by Jon-T and he/she has not responded to my follow up information.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX as you have had to Re List your question - I will endeavor to help you ...

On your radio unit, you have four preset ( channel ) buttons.

In the case of a Security Code of 1 2 3 4 . for example.. ... You press the 1 button once until the display indicates 1 - - , then twice on the 2 button thus displaying 1, 2 - - ... etc, and carry on like that ...( obviously using your particular code ) ...

Once the display shows the code, press the button with the Smart Logo next to it ....and the unit will then work.

NOTE - Once you enter a code more than 5 times incorrectly, ( or you trying an incorrect code ) you have to wait 24 Hours till entering another try ...

This seems to be where you are at with yours...

So - as this is your situation - your next step is to contact a SMART dealer....and have them check you have the correct code... Often the code in the documents is wrong - and this is causing your trouble.

You will need to do as above in that case to get this sorted out but either way as above - that will sort this out for you..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Edited by Mike on 10/8/2010 at 11:18 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Mike but I have already taken the car to a dealer. I took the car into my SMART dealer and their advice was to take the radio to Halfords and have it replaced! They said it was too much effort to contact Germany! Thanks for trying but no money!