Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

can you tell me why the orange engine symbol on my mini cooper

can you tell me why the orange engine symbol on my mini cooper dash board is ullimaneted what does this mean is wring with the engine.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Customer :

hello

Mike :

Hello... Ok.. when the EML - engine management light comes on, this means the engine management computer has detected a faul somewhere in the management systems - this can be a simple a sensor or something more... What you will have to do is have the vehilce connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - - This retreives stored fault codes relating to the fault - and then whatever it is thats wrong, can be fixed..

Customer :

its not the EML light which is on its the one above with a engine symbol

Mike :

If its the one that has the symbol of an engine - its the EML -

Mike :

Please descibe it exactly for me if thats not it.

Customer :

no thats it but there is also a EML symbol underneath that which is not on

Mike :

Give me a moment or two please...

Mike :

I will send you a pic / drawing in a moment - Please tell me which light it resembles..

Mike :

click the image to enlarge it -

Mike :

Have you had the pic ok ?

Customer :

first one top left row

Mike :

Ok - give me a mo please..

Mike :

Ok.. I have just double checked that for you -- yes, that will mean as I said - to find out exactly why its on - it does need the diagnostic test as mentioned... You don't have to use a dealer - many smaller garages have the equipment to do this for you - so that would be quicker - and cheaper for you...

Customer :

is it save to drive until i get it to a garage tomorrow

Mike :

Yes, so long as the engine is not running rough or anything yes ..

Customer :

thats great thank you ever so much

Mike :

Thats no problem at all - Im very pleased to have helped..

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.