Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

BMW: wont start..house to vacuum, then topped..cap which had a number

Customer Question

Hello, My BMW 728i won't start. I moved closer to the house to vacuum, then topped up the washer bottle and oil. Whilst looking for the washer bottle, I unscrewed a cap which had a number of pins on the underside. This particular cap (with pins) locates into a socket (looks rather like the pins in a trailer plug). It has a special shape pin to ensure you cannot locate it in the wrong position! So the car started 20 minutes ago but won't start now. The radio works, electric seats etc, but when you turn the ignition all you hear is a 'click, click, click' in the engine bay? Thoughts? Really don't want to have to call BMW for this it is problem something silly. Regards Richard
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The socket with pins you mention is the vehilces' diagnostic socket where diagnostic equipment is plugged on.. Just make sure its refitted and screwed tight. That wont be your problem.

Likely as not, the battery has gone down while you have been cleaning the car...

Charge it - or use a jump pack / jump battery or fit a known charged one - and Im sure the car will start .....

Give the car a good run then to charge the battery up and all will be well again..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.