Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

weird squealing noise when i press accelerator

Chat Conversation Started
Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Customer:

hello

Customer:

hows it goin

Mike :

Fine - thank you ! Given your description of the fault - I would certainly think its one of the drive belts - The best thing to do is start the engine and allow it to idle - then switch on the electrics - heater - rear window - headlights etc - and then slowly press the gas pedal and rev the engine... If the noise appears then ... then its lilkely your alternaor belt ...

Customer:

ok, is there anything else you think it could be

Mike :

You can check the belt /s to see if they are tight - and tighten them and re try it again -- and often that will cure it -- but if they are tight - sometimes its that they have hardened - - and renewal is needed then..

Customer:

because the mechanic said he had tried everything

Mike :

To be honest - its the belt/s 9 / 10.... If he cant get rid if the noise by tightening - renew the belts as above and try that

Customer:

do you mean 9 out of 10 times its the belts

Mike :

Other than that - I would suspect the alternator pulley - or one of the others-- but of you do the test as I mentioned and you get the noise every time - it has to be in that area...

Mike :

yes - 9 /1 0 - the belts...yes

Customer:

ok that sounds great, are they expensive to replace? or sort out do you think?

Customer:

i would do it myself but i cnt find a repair manual for my car anywhere

Mike :

Ok - just give me a few moments -

Customer:

ok

Mike :

Ok - I was just checking the manuas situation for you ... The belts are not expensive no - you can buy them yourself from any good car shop... as for the manuals -

Customer:

ok yes the manuals

Mike :

have a look HERE when we finish - Im sure there is one there that covers your model ...

Customer:

i tried haynes they have every bmw compact model except for the 319ti compact

Customer:

318ti i meant

Mike :

I know you are down London way so garage charges are not cheap - it may be well worth getting a manual for all other things... I see- re the manuals... the 318 engine in general will cover all you need

Mike :

there are only small differences -

Customer:

ok

Customer:

in that case maybe il try one

Customer:

so just to reiterate

Mike :

check your engine by sight - and compare it with the closest manual - you will see what I mean ;)

Customer:

start the engine with electrics off

Mike :

ok..yes..

Customer:

then try the gas pedal

Mike :

yes..

Customer:

then switch electrics on

Customer:

and try gas pedal

Mike :

no.. start the engine - allow to idle - then switch on the electrics - then apply the pedal slowly raising the revs..

Mike :

that is the best way to check for belt trouble -

Customer:

by idle u mean just let it do nothing in neutral ok

Customer:

great il do that

Mike :

yes exactly.

Customer:

great il do that

Customer:

thanks for ur help mate

Mike :

No problem at all ... Please dont forget the accept button before you leave - and you can always get back to me if you need more help...

Mike :

Best rgds --- MIKE ..

Customer:

how do i find ya

Mike :

You can come back this post in your account - and use the Reply button - Or - you can post a new question quoting - "This is for Mikdermoose - Only !"... and I will spot that in the lists then...

Customer:

alright great

Customer:

cheers