Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

My 2005 Octavia 1.9 TDI is showing a yellow power steering

My 2005 Octavia 1.9 TDI is showing a yellow power steering warning light. I can feel no change in steering effort with the light having been on for about three weeks now. Everything seems normal though I notice a slight steering wheel vibration when road speed goes through 70 MPH. Could this be the fault the light is indicating? My garage says it will cost £550 plus labour plus VAT to replace the power steering unit inorder to get rid of the warning light. Is there any other repair option for this fault?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Im afraid the problem with these models is not unusual and usually result in having to have a new power steering unit fitted - even though you can feel no problems at the moment , it will come on if the pump is going faulty.

However, makes sure they have checked the wiring and connections to the pump unit as they were a common fault too that would cause this -

Obviously any problems should be rectified and then the light would go out.

If its not that though - then it will need a new unit as above.

I can help you save money there though - contact this company on 0 1 6 3 4 6 8 7 2 2 2 ... they specialise in these units - and will do you a pump unit at a much better price than 550... and give you a full warranty too...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The unit does not look like a pump, more like an electric motor. Isnt this what electro-mechanical power steering means? are you sure you are talking about the 2004 onward Octavia?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

Yes you are right - its whats called and EPS - system - electric power steering system.... so pump was the wrong terminology for me to use strictly - sorry if that mislead you ..

There are three types of power steering system today -- Hydraulic - EHPS - Electric hydraulic ( the two combined ) and yours , EPS ..as above. ( though the Skodas had the two types - EHPS - and EPS )

If you give that company a call - have your reg number and VIN and they will then confirm exactly which of the two yours has..but the diagnosis is the same for the two Skoda types.

I hope that helps / clarifies for you ,

Best Rgds , MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im not sure how these electrical devices work exactly. In your opinion is the steering wheel vibration likely to be caused by the power steering unit,bearing in mind that it seems to be confined to a narrow speed band?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hi again...

Have you had the wheel balancing checked at all - and checks on the tyres / suspension / steering ?

Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had new front tyres and wheels balanced shortly before the steering problem arose. The garage assure me that the wheels were balanced which is why they say it is the fault of the power steering., but I am sceptical. I understand what you say if hydraulic pumps are gradually deteriorating, but electrcal devises are usually on or off. What will the sensors which control the warning lights be looking for in an electro mechanical unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I could get the wheel balance checked again and the fit of the electical connections to the unit. Is there anything else I can do to make sure that the warning light is showing a genuine fault and not just a computer glytch?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again ....

Sorry - as I was sending the reply below - you posted ahead of me by a few seconds...

Please read the below anyway - but then honestly.... it will be the unit for sure ( or wiring as I mentioned before )..... On these the light doesn't lie - and too - as I mention below - these units are a big failure on these models now........

So , my reply was as follows.....

Ok, the first thing you need to do is have the balancing done again ...either at the same garage or another - because you need to be 100% sure that that is ok....

Too - you need to have the steering and suspension checked to be sure there are no problems there..

If re balancing etc as above cures it - well thats all it was.

As for the power steering system, if all else as above is proving ok - then it has to be down to the power steering unit as above.... The light will not generally be put on for a vibration problem from an outside source - unless its bad enough to make the system think that the system is failing or has a fault.

If the diagnostics come back to the unit ( EPS ) and you rule out all else as above - then thats what it will be.

I can understand your skepticism to some degree - but I can tell you that these steering units are a big failure now on the Skoda range now... So its very likely to be that..... especially as the fault light for the EPS is on.

Work through as above and speak with the firm I have recommended and you will have a conclusion on this.

I hope that helps you further -

Kind Rgds, MIKE

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.