Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

vw caddy C20 turbo - loss of power and black smoke

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

What is the mileage ?

What is its service / recent repair history ?

Do you have any lights on the dash at all when driving ?

Have you had any actual diagnostic testing done and if so , with what results?

Rgds- MIKE......................................

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

200,000 miles

Regularly serviced (no major repairs)

No lights on dash when driving

Yes and showing no faults

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply..My apologies that I could not reply to you sooner...

Ok... given that you have had no major repair work at all - ( which would generally include the injectors / pump etc etc ) ...and the mileage that it has - the most likely problem here that would cause a loss of power and black smoke would be that the injectors are suffering in some way...

What I would suggest here is to renew the fuel filter - regardless of its age - and use a good quality make / name of Diesel system such as the Forte range -- half fill the new filter with the fluid and put the rest in the tank and take the vehicle for a spirited drive....

This will help to clean the injector pump and the injectors - (sometimes you need more than one bottle / treatment if its bad )....but very often this is all thats needed to cure such problems..

Its certainly worth a try and given the mileage etc , and that its not misfiring or anything , thats very likely all it is ...

IF this wasn't to cure it - you would then need to have the system professionally checked using a garage diagnostic machine to check the fuel system etc.. but there is every chance that the above will work... especially if you use the Forte product.

Forte are not sold in the shops - its a trade only product for just such problems.. but - if you do a search on ebay etc - you can find it there! Do a search for Forte Diesel system cleaner and you will come up with it...

So do that first - give it some mileage to give it a chance to work - and then go from there as needed..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike have tried above, use Forte product anyway. Problem seems to be lack of air, when revving stationary get impression of over fuelling, disconnect map sensor black smoke goes away but no turbo power on test (intermittant fault), any suggestions would be good, thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, thank you for your reply...

Ok - so long as it wasn't too long ago.... because it could well be that the Forte treatment is "due" again if you understand...

Its never a waste of money anyway - -

As regard the disconnection though of the map sensor though - that is a big clue...it does often indicate thats faulty to be honest... It will affect the turbo when its off - but if its curing the smoke etc - then a new unit should cure that you know - and the turbo would work when the new one is connected..

You could have proper plug in tests done for fault codes but also live data / component testing done - but to be honest - it is looking like that....I know you have renews that - and the air flow mtr - but it doesn't mean one is not faulty - hat can be very misleading !

The other thing that goes wrong though with these is the ECT sensor - so bear that in mind ( and that often won't show up as faulty in a diagnostic )...for the price of it ( cheap ) it may well be worth renewing that first at this point !

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds - MIKE...

Edited by Mike on 7/20/2010 at 11:26 PM EST
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.