Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Golf: mk4..2.0 gti w-reg (2000)..coolant temperature sensor

i have a golf mk4 2.0 gti w-reg (2000). I need to replace the coolant temperature sensor. Please tell me which part number i need, and the exact location and instructions, with a picture of the location too please. Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

I can't give you the part number because there are different ones for it.. You will need to contact a local VW dealer, parts dept... give them the cars full reg and VIN - and they will then be able to supply the correct one for you ...

As to location - I will give you that below... click the image to open it...it is item 6 identified by a red dot.

graphic

To replace it.. simply disconnect the electrical connector and then use a spanner to simply unscrew it - and quickly put the new one in and tighten it. You will lose just a dribble of water - nothing to worry about...Re connect the connector and thats the job done.

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Mike, but unfortunately the diagram is a little simplistic - in my engine there are loads more pipes in that area, and i really dont know what i'm looking for. Any chance of being a bit more specific? Or a photo? cheers
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply...

Im afraid thats what we have to work with in the motor trade - However, I have pic stored of one so I will give you that -hopefully that will help...

Note on the pic - where the red arrow is - its pointing to where on the new sensor, there will most likely be a green coloured band.. new ones were upgraded on most - old ones were black as in the pic...

The other thing I can suggest is - buy the new sensor...and then with it in hand, you will see exactly what it looks like and thus be able to ID it easily.

It doesn't look anything like a pipe etc as are in that area - its a solid metal sensor / coloured , screwed into the housing with an electrical 4 wire connector on it - so , especially with the new one in hand, you can't get it wrong.

If you are struggling - when you buy the new one from the dealers - just ask them to show you on the car...

Here is the pic I have for you :

graphic

I hope that helps you further -

Best Rgds - MIKE..