Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

my l200 53 plate has a nocking noise from the top engine it

Customer Question

my l200 53 plate has a nocking noise from the top engine it sounds like the tapets but iv hade the rocker cover of ang everything is ok hade compresion test on the head sent injectors of for testing and still they ar ok HELP
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

It could still be the tappets... I suggest you check them..

The settings on the 4D56 engine are 0.25 mm for both inlet and exhaust - and should be checked / adjusted / set , when the engine is hot.

Certainly its worth checking them first -- and if its not that - given that you track the noise down to the 3rd piston... it would suggest piston slap ... or , a little end rattle...( assuming the injectors check out ok )

So that will need to be borne in mind as you progress with this...as a likely suspect..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given -as that's how I get paid for my time ... Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi

I have been told that it is the Big End that has gone in the engine and that this is a common fault with these engines. Do you know if it would just be cheaper for me to buy a reconditioned engine and how much this would cost me?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply...

Ok - well it could be a big end.. obviously I can't hear it- but I was going off the fact that you said the noise was in the top of the engine - the big ends are in the bottom.... Hence why I gave the advice I did...

I wouldn't have said big end failure is any more common on the 4D engine - but thats not to say it doesn't happen...

When it comes to costs - you would really have to cost this up .. Ask a garage to price up a repair / rebuild for you ... This would involve , best case scenario, just a set of new big end shells - worst case.. having to have the crank reground and new oversize shells fitted...

The costs between to the two are the extra cost of labour to remove the crank - and the cost of crank grinding.... These costs would have to be got from a local engine reconditioner. Its very difficult for me to give you costs because prices differ so much around the country - and even between garages...

On this engine I would say though that a reground crank and new shells would be cheaper than a while recon engine - but you really are best advised to shop around...

There are many engine suppliers across the country - all of whom will deliver a unit to you...Do a search on the net for the best prices...and then you can weigh it all up....

The other of course is to search out a good second hand unit out of a crashed / written off vehicle.... that may well be a good money saving option.... Do a search there with the help of this site HERE..

This company HERE may be of help to you as well - thats just one of many..

I hope that helps you further -

Best Rgds - MIKE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Sorry to bother you again. One of our friends always has jeeps and he said he was driving along at 60mph heard a rattle, pulled over, engine sounded like a loose spanner was in it and it was his balance shaft belt. Could this be what has gone on ours?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi there.... thats no problem..

Yes it could ... I did think though that they would have checked all that - but maybe not...

The other thing then that I will mention - in case they haven't checked...is the front main bottom pulley...

These are made up of two halves - with rubber in the middle.. The runner sometimes perishes causing a loud knocking / vibration - "noise".... Again, I would have thought they would have checked this before condemning an engine....but... So have that checked too....

I hope that helps you further..

I'm glad Ive been able to have helped you -- Please don't forget the Accept Button if we are done.... though you can always get back to me at any point after using the accept just by using the reply button and I wil always be pleased to help further if I can.

Best Rgds to you .... MIKE..

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi

One last question.

Would a Shogun engine fit on a Mitsubishi Warrior L200 as they both have the same engine code 4D56.

Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi again... Thank you for your reply...

As they are both the same engine and with the same engine code, yes that would fit ok...

There wil be odd things you may have to swap over as you go but the engine itself is the same yes..

Please don't forget the Accept button if you are happy - Thank you ...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike.

Still trying to sort out my engine. Will an engine from a 1993 SWB PAJERO fit my Mitsubishi L200 as they are both 4d56 engines?

Do you know how I would fit the Shaft Position Sensor to the 1993 SWB PAJERO engine as it doesn't have one connected to it but my Mitsubishi l200 does?

Thanks
Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, thank you for your reply..

Essentially yes the blocks are the same - but you would have to make several changes - even as you have identified with the crank sensor..

You would have to change the housing over for that alone to make / allow the crank sensor to fit..... Its a lot of work - you would have to change things as you go... to inc the flywheel - don't forget that ...or else the crank sensor wouldn't have a trigger to work from one.. ! Thats the sort of thing you would have to think about as you go - but essentially it can be done ...

I hope that helps you further.. Please don't forget that Accept button at some point - you can always get back to me even after pressing that ...just by using the Reply button as you have been doing .. ThankYou..

Best Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi sorry to be a pain. I 'm trying to do my timing on the engine.

Can you tell me how many timing marks there are on the engine and what is the best way to do it.

Thanks
Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again..

Yes I can give you a diagram and instructions of that - click the image below..

graphic

I do need you to be pressing the Accept button at some point now.. Thank you ..

Kind Rgds.. MIKE...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi

I have done the timing and it is all ok now. Started the engine and it is hunting with white smoke and cuts out at idle. Do you know why this could be?

Cheers
Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Can you also tell me where i can get a diagram for the diesel pump please.

Cheers
Dave
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again...

The only place you would get such a diagram would be from either dealer service dept - or a diesel specialist.

As for the white smoke - that is usually a sign of water in the engine but can be other things....poor running etc - I suggest you have a garage take a look at have it checked now diagnostically.

Rgds , MIKE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Still having problems with my Mitsubishi l200.

The engine won't start and the engine management light keeps coming on. The balance shaft belt snapped yesterday so fitted a new one but now there is no fuel at the injectors but there is fuel going to the pump. Please can you advise me on what the problem might be.

Thanks