David, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Skoda Master Technicain and MOT Tester
27984060

Im trying to remove a battery from a renault clio, need to

Customer Question

I'm trying to remove a battery from a renault clio, need to check if it's flat or another problem but it's not moving! Have removed the bits at the top (I'm a girl, don't know what they're called) and loosened the "grip" at the base. Any idea how, surely it can't be that difficult?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

You will need to slide the battery forward slightly in the direction that you removed the base clamp from as they slide in to a grove at the back and then it should lift out. Sometimes they will come out if you slacken the clamp right of as far as you can but normally it will need to come out and you need to squeeze your hand down there to get it out or trying getting in from one side.

I hope this helps but please feel free to ask if I can help you further

Dave

Edited by David on 5/5/2010 at 5:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The battery is sliding forward and backwards freely but the clamp is on the right side. I've loosened the bolt but there is no room left or right to get the lip from the bottom of the battery out from under it? It's not possible to remove the clamp as it is bolted at the base and up further onto the body of the car. Even if I could remove this (I doubt with the space) I can't take it out from anywhere because of where it's situated?

Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Hi any chance you can send a picture of this clamp as normally you can get them out without too much of a problem?

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have any way to send a picture, camera is on loan to a friend at the moment, really sorry! I know there must be a way around it, just can't see how! I've had the same problem finding the dip stick which is almost under the engine - not sure if it's just the model that has an overly complicated design?