David, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Skoda Master Technicain and MOT Tester
27984060

I have a 2000 VW polo 1.4 16v with starting problems in the

Customer Question

I have a 2000 VW polo 1.4 16v with starting problems in the morning. Also it has NO EPC or engine check light illuminating when the ignition is switched on.
If you try to start it straight away it will not start up, just keeps turning over and it will start eventually, but if you leave the ignition turned on for a few minutes then try to start it, it will start up.
It runs fine normally and once started it will start up no problem all day
I have changed the temp sensor and fitted a new coil pack.
It does generate a fault code of 01314 Engine Control Module 49-00 No Communication.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Hi sounds like you have a engine control unit relay fault as this supplies the power to the engine ecu and since you say you get no warning lights coming on this would fit in with this relay playing up. These are known to play up to cause non start problems like this.

I hope this helps but if I can help further pleas feel free to ask

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dave

Do you know which relay it is? What number does it have on it?

Thanks Jason

Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Hi you are looking for the fuel pump relay which is position number 1 on the relay plate in behind the fusebox hidden behind the lower dash trim on the drivers side.

I hope this helps

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already replaced that
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

OK I will have a look through and see what else I can dig up for you to try and get back to you as soon as I can

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have noticed that if you turn the ignition on and wait for the fuel pump to stop running which can take upto about 5 minutes some mornings it will start straight away

Thanks

Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Hi sorry I lost your question

Are you still having problems with starting?

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dave

The engine ecu is shot to bits in need of replacing. Only problem is the car is now off the road and unable to get one until next week

Thanks Jason

Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

Hi at least you know what the problem is now. You are aware that the engine ECU will need to be coded to the car and the immobiliser to allow it to start and the ECU itself will need to be coded to tell it what sort of car you have?

Dave

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dave

Yes i know that

Thanks Jason