Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

2005 rover city rover fuel guage has stopped working..tank..slowly

2005 rover city rover fuel guage has stopped working have tried filling the tank full slowly but it staying firmly on zero
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back to justanswer..

There is no fuse for the fuel gauge - its more than likely a failed sender unit in the tank Im afraid...

If it proves to be this and Im sure it will, then renewal of the unit is needed as they can't be fixed - you can't get individual parts for them Im afraid..

I don't know if you can do it yourself or not but the way to test them is to access the top of the unit where it goes in the tank - -identify the wire for the gauge - and then switch the ignition on... and then earth the wire to a good earth point..and the gauge needle should rise slowly all the way to the top -- this proves the wiring and the gauge are good...

They usually are to be honest - as I say , its usually the sender unit in the tank but you or your local garage can test it that way and then go from there..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.