wefwef
wefwef, Technical support engineer
Experience:  20 years experience,15 with Renault as master technician,technical support for 2 major manufacturers
18671115

Window of the megane has gone down on its own

window on my megane has just gone down on its own and wont go back up
i read on the internet that is i disconnect the earth and start the engine the window will go back up 2'' at a time but i will have to repeat the process till i get it up is this true or is ther another way the day before this happened there was a clicking noise coming from the door panel i also found on the internet that this could be the module on top of the motor or it could be the pcb board
some people have got renault to pay 95% of the cost as this is a common problem
cheers ger

In short, yes this is quite a common problem and one Renault are certainly aware of. Secondly, the causes can be numerous, but the main culprit in a large amount of failures is the window regulator/motor itself. This has a small computer attached to it and can fail in this manner, so it really needs someone to look and check the wiring at the motor to determine if indeed this is the problem. Removing and refitting the earth doesn't really do anything, if the motor starts working again, then this is more luck than any kind of 'special reset'. It is worth trying disconnecting the battery or door harness in the 'A' post and see if it will reset, but ultimately it requires diagnosing properly. I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there anywhere i can down load instructions on how to take the door panel off without damaging it

I can only suggest searching the internet for detailed instructions. If you can let me know whether it is the front or rear door, I can try and describe the operation to you, but to be honest, if it is the front door, the door panel actually holds the whole window regulator assembly and can be tricky to remove/refit if not experienced with this type of work. The rears are a little more straight forward.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I wrote this on howtomendit.com after reading lots of reviews about the same situation and this worked a treat with out taking the door panel off at all. this got my window up till i can get it to a garage for someone else to take the door panel off

cheers ***** ***** for your help

Solution to get window back-up; remove the fuse for the problem window, fuse located left-hand side of glove compartment, fuses are marked 25 amp for front windows L and R and 40 amp for back. Once you have dis-connected fuse and re-connected fuse, close all doors and press the lock button on the remote twice. Window will go up, one or two inches at a time, open the door and repeat the process by removing the fuse and beginning again.... it may take a few times to get the window into fully closed position. remember to check that the window is checked from the outside position. Once in closed position, remember to remove the fuse until the vehicle is taken to mechanic for complete fix, probably just the terminals on the window regulator need cleaned and reconnected and sprayed with a waterproof repellent.

This is certainly worth a try and could work, however I have never had much success with this kind of method, as the computer on the motor controls the window operation, so it really is a case of trying your luck to see if this will work for you. This is trying to use the 'global close' feature to try and operate your window, and will only work if the problem is in certain areas of the system, but well worth a try for the time it takes.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this worked for me, does this tell me where the problem is

I would say that it is highly likely the problem is within the motor/computer assembly which comes as a complete unit. It is permanently powered and earthed for the motor to work, and the computer attached relies on earth signals from the switches to operate in the desired direction. If the window stays up then this would indicate that the switches are at least not sending a down signal all the time, and in my experience the main problem is within the electronics of the motor assembly, but best to check the wiring and switches first before finally replacing the motor assembly. I have seen switches, wiring and water ingress all cause similar issues, but by far the most common cause is the motor assembly itself. I hope this helps. Kind regards