vauxdoc
vauxdoc , vauxhall master tech
Experience:  over 25 years from viva to vectra
10908802

I have a vauxhall astra 05. 1.6 sxi.

Customer Question

i have a vauxhall astra 05. 1.6 sxi. petrol . the car was starting fine 4 days ago and i went to start it last night and it wont start. there is life in the battery and the engine is turning fine just dosent seem to fire. plenty petrol in the tank. any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, Ideally your car needs to be tested on a diagnostic computer and tested for fault codes, a starting test could then be done while viewing the electronic data from the engine ECU, most garages have the kit necessary for this.

However this does sound like something that I have had a couple of times and is caused by a faulty crankshaft speed sensor (RPM) this is found close to the oil filter on the lower front of the engine and is very easy to replace. (I am now contradicting myself as this sensor doesn't always show on a scan).

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have heard that you can use the pedal test to get the error code. is this correct?
Something like you turn the ignition on with the brake and acceleretor pedal depressed.

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 6 years ago.
Some you can some you can't, and they are sometimes very misleading, you need to press the throttle and brake pedals fully then turn on the ignition then read off , but as I say the RPM code doesn't always show.

Regards, vauxdoc