Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

hi, i have a 2003 iveco daily 65c15 powered by 2.8 common rail

hi, i have a 2003 iveco daily 65c15 powered by 2.8 common rail hpt. i have noticed a red injector signal in dash flashing. once the signal goes on the engine loose power, would not rev more than 1500 rpm even when parked, and even change the engine sound, it will sound like the first generation ford transit di.........very noisy di tick.

this happens once the engine is not on torque. while pulling it goes like a train, but when i release the accelerator the injector signal goes on and the same story. even when pulling at full load in hillclimbs the engine does a great job until you decrease speed.

i added some injector cleaner in diesel tank, the problem decreased a bit , but far from solved. can the problem be fuel injectors of fuel pump - ecu.

thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer.........

As you have this light on ..( injection system fault light ) . this is indicating that the ECU - management computer, has detected and logged a fault or faults, somewhere in the engine management / fueling systems...

This could be a sensor fault , injector fault, pump fault or wiring issues or even a fault with the main ecu itself... ( the latter is quite rare ) but you see the problem... it's impossible to guess where the fault(s) may be.

What you will need to do now is have the vans systems connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - preferably dealer level equipment... to read / scan the vans' ecu - to retrieve the now stored / logged fault code(s)...

Once these are retrieved - then you / the user - will be directed to the area of fault and that can then be dealt with.

To be honest , its usually a sensor fault or a poor connection somewhere... but as I said earlier - it's impossible to guess.

What you can do on a DIY basis - is go around all the wiring connectors around the engine - giving them a tug and a wiggle... just in case you have a poor connection somewhere on one of the sensors / drivers etc... If you do happen to hit on one thats causing the light to come on - the light will usually go off then at the next "start" as the ecu will see the fault is cleared. ( Some vehilces you need to have the ecu cleared with the diagnostic equipment ) ...

So try that -its worth a try... but failing that - you will need to have it connected up to equipment as I've mentioned...

Many smaller garages have suitable equipment for these these days so if you cannot locate the fault yourself as above - then have a ring around to arrange to have that done and then it will get sorted.

The reason the engine holds back on power by the way - will be because of one of two reasons.... either its because of the actual fault in itself - or, the ecu has put the systems into whats called LHM - Limp Home Mode... this is a basic running mode -(default settings) to allow you to get home (or a garage ) rather than break down -- and this protects the systems - so that you cannot rev it above a certain range whilst the fault exists...

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.