Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

How to clear an air lock in a fiat punto cooling system

how to clear an air lock in a fiat punto cooling system
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

If you are having real trouble clearing an air lock - switch the heater control to Hot - then drain the system completely ..

Then raise the front end of the vehicle by at least 18" -

Then undo the vent / bleed nipple/s..

Prepare a 50-50 mix of antifreeze / coolant and water... make sure its a 50/50 as that helps with cooling ..

Then, slowly fill the cooling system - and as you pour it in - slowly - Do not be tempted to rush it ... pump the top and bottom radiator hoses all the time that you are filling ...

That dispels air locks - When the system is filled up to the MAx mark - start the engine and allow it to idle - while still pumping the hoses - and bring it up to temperature...

You will see that the water level drops as the thermostat opens...

Then you need to top the system up - again , slowly - and make sure you dont scald yourself when opening the cap...

At this point you should top up with warm to hot water...

Fill only to the max mark - no more...

Then drop the vehicle and run it until the fan comes on. Recheck the levels and all should then be well .... Dont forget to close bleed nipples.

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you..