Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Toyota: drives..Parking..the gear is shifted to Drive or Reverse

my toyota avensis 2004 model 1.8l auto is making a rattling sound from the bonnet, what could it be, the gear box is new and was checked.starter is fine ,drives okay but the noise is less pronounced when driving it rattles a lot on Parking and when the gear is shifted to Drive or Reverse.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Its always difficult to know / diagnose noises as such from here without inspection - but , as the garage has inspected it, they seen to be settling on the fact that the noises are transmission / gearbox related...

It does sound like it too with it rattling on Parking and when you shift the lever to Drive or Reverse..

Auto transmission units are notoriously expensive when they go wrong - but what I would suggest you do is approach this from another angle.. that of , the garage you bought it off..see if there is any warranty covering that as you have not had it long... If it has , they should deal with it under that . If not, then approach the finance company that you are paying the car money too as they will have an interest in this. I cant give you any legal advice as Im not allowed - but you can legitimately do as above - and you can also get advice off your local trading standards office to help you with this further.

Also, there is the aspect of the gearbox being "new".. You should trace down who fitted / supplied the transmission as if it is new - there should be a warranty on that itself never mind the car...

So work through as above and Im sure you will get somewhere that way...

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.