Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Jaguar x-type 2.0 diesel. Changed fuel filter.

Jaguar x-type 2.0 diesel. Changed fuel filter. car started, ran rough and then stopped. tried to bleed system. Still not starting. Put key to start, ignition lights came on but starter would not crank. Took key out, locked and unlocked. Put key in, turned to start, engine cranked, then stopped. Put booster pack on, engine cranked without turning key. Disconnected battery to stop. Took key out. Everytime battery terminal fitted engine cranks without key in.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

This can happen when the engine has been cranked a lot , such as in circumstances as you have, trying to bleed the system...and it can cause the starter relay to fail - burn, causing it to stick on - so that when you just switch the key on..the starter activates , as you describe..

You will have to check that - the relay is in the engine bay fuse box.. removing it should quantify the problem and then renewal will cure that.

When bleeding these systems - you should fill the new filter with diesel prior to fitting and then crank the engine in 4 -5 secs bursts giving the same time between for the starter and relay to cool.. to avoid the above happening - so sort the relay as above and the do it all again - as above remembering to fill the fuel filter with diesel before trying to start it and then it should start and run ok after that per norm..

You might just have the same problem having occurred with the starter motor itself - but usualy its the starter motor relay as above so check that first.

I will give you an image below - to show its location ... click to open.

graphic

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.