Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

What is the life span of a fuel injector on a xc90

Customer Question

what is the life span of a fuel injector on a xc90
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

That is a little , how long is a piece of string , question Im afraid..

I say that because an injectors' life can depend on different factors... ie, it can fail prematurely because of dirt in the fuel system, that has got passed the filter...or problems with the actual engine itself affecting the injectors..

So an injector can have a very short life if such happens to it...

Generally though, they, as with any other part, can fail just due to "expiry"..end of life..

Some injectors will last 150+ miles ... They do like to be periodically cleaned - using a fuel system additive - and if nothing has gone wrong with the system in general, they will last that sort of mileage and more...

I have known some fail at 30,000 miles though - for not apparent reason - just "faulty parts" - as happens with any product... theres no accounting for that Im afraid...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time etc ....Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the answer, i kind of guessed that.

I was asking becuase my volvo xc90 2.4 se, which is 6 year old and has 55,000 miles on the clock, has just started stalling and when you rev over 2,000 it say "engine system - service urgent".

The car has just been returned from a routine service in December.

My volvo dealer has identified the problem as all 5 fuel injectors need replacing at a cost of £2,000.

Did this sound sensible in both diagnosise and cost?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi again - thank you for your reply...

Ok... I wanted to give you an overview and too - because the question wasn't that specific - other than asking the life span of an injector.. ;)

Its not unheard of for this to happen - but I would be asking them "why"...

It could just be that you have a fault with one of the injectors - but they want to do the lot - just to cover / be on the safe side so to speak - but thats at your expense..

I certainly wouldn't just agree to that - I would ask to see the actual diagnostic report / print out and ask them to go though it with you - showing you the faults on the list ...

It will be obvious to you , in print, - you will see what the diagnostic machine has printed - it will show readings for each injector - good ones will be pretty uniform - a bad one will show a reading far out... or , depending on actual software of the machine - it will simply say - Injector 1 Good - Injector 2 Bad - and so on...

So that is what I would insist they do for you - show you the print out and go through it with you ...

The costs you mention are not untoward for 5 injectors - inc fitting and programming etc -- but I would want to see it in print that all of them are necessary..

I hope that helps you further....

Kind Rgds, MIKE