Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Hi got an audi a4 2.0tdi 16v sline 55 plate customer drove

Customer Question

Hi got an audi a4 2.0tdi 16v sline 55 plate customer drove into water we stripped engine replaced 1 bent con rod rebuilt but vehicle wont start or even fire only fault on comp is heating plugs not working would this stop diesel injectors from working or any ideas what could be wrong cheers
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

If the glow plugs are not working, that will definately stop the engine from starting - but they wont affect the injectors...

You need to check then to see if there is an actual fault with the glow plugs - I would imagine actually that they could all have been damaged when the water came in the cylinders as obviously they are in the cylinders..

I would take then out and test each one - and renew them all if even one is faulty / failed..and it would start then in that case...

That is the most likely scenario with this one...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time etc ....Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But with this being a tdi doesn need a heat to start so the way i see it even if they were not working it would still start or even offer if i give it direct feed into the pump on back of cam it will fire and run for second or two
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again , thank you for your reply...

It actually does need the heat from the plugs... They also use the glow plugs for emission control after the engine has started...

But - going off what you have just said now - Have you checked the immobilser side f things ?

Rgds.. MIKE....................
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have ethos snap on diagnostic reader and have been in immobilizer but no faults showning only codes are 17055,17056,17057,17058, for glow plugs would the immoblizer shut down the injectors cheers
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again...

Yes the immobilser will shut down the injectors..

If you have found that you have no fuel being injected, you would need to specifically check that through too in that case...

Too -the injectors may have been damaged with the water too - thats certainly not unheard of in this situation...

You will need to check as above and the fuel system too etc.. Im sure you will find the problem with one of them at least...

This being the PD engine too - check the injector loom and its connections -especially the round connector - but also at the injectors...a common fault...

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds, MIKE..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi i renewed glow plugs today car still wont start i gave direct feed to pump on back of engine wind it over eventually start runs for 5 to 10 seconds then cut straight off any ideas wot wrong
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hell again -

Check if you have any lights on the dash when cranking - especially immobiliser related - check that out further - you mentioned it before - but it sounds like this is the problem here especially from what you have just mentioned...

Plus the items I mentioned in my last reply... you havn't referred to them at all - that needs checking out / fuel delivery etc..

Also - check the main engine control relay and the main fuse box / wiring for water problems....

Rgds, MIKE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried all things you have said all lights on dash working as they should and going out fuel pumping up from tank fine double checked timing and compression etc multiplug and connections good the water was not high enough to get inside car or get near ecu etc could it be anything to do with tamdem fuel pump being weak or something i am completely lost cheers
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

I have been discussing this with a colleague of mine - and we are little unsure as to how you are making it run at all with the "feed to the pump"...

What actual connection are you making there ?? If you could explain that fully - perhaps upload a pic of the connection you are making.....

Rgds, MIKE.................
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

By taking pipes off filter and connecting them by plastic fuel pipes i towed vehicle today had all pipes on filter as they should started and ran for 2 mins or so them cut out towed it again but neva started took pipes off filter and it was empty turned igintion few times and fuel started coming out as it should connected back to filter it filled up properly took return pipe off pump and turned vehicle over fuel returning but at a very high presure so i no fuel going into pump but vehicle will still not start or fire

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply...

Given what you have now said, under consideration with my colleague as mentioned before - it seems evident that the tandem pump may well be at fault...

You could either opt to just change that , or you may decide its best to have a dealer run some dealer diagnostic and live data tests -

I don't want you to pour time and money into it without being relatively sure - and I feel such diagnostics would be the way forward on this one...

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds... MIKE..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi yeah possibily i changed the tamdem pump today didnt change anything do you think main diagnostics will find out more on vehicle than a normal scanner tool cheers
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi again... thank you for your reply..

Okay - yes - definately - and definately the time for it....

As thats not cured it - I hesitate to suggest that it could be this or that - they are not blind guesses you understand even so far - they have been suggestions based on what we have / whats been happening with it...

Now is the time for dealer level testing .. t will be money well spent - and save you time and money from here on in. The dealer equipment is so much more in depth that most aftermarket equipment and m sure they will find the problem that way...

Let me know how you get on / if I can help any further ..

Rgds.. MIKE....

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi got car going the 4 injectors seal were gone car starts and drives fantastic now but if u let car tick over for minute or two starts too smoke a little then you start driving it and smokes heavy white smoke then clears nothing on diagnostic and engine runs smooth no missing injectors etc and also cant get the heater hot tried bleeding it but just cant get the water flowing thro proper but car running perfectly cool done 100 miles like this any suggestions