Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

hi, our peugeot 207 computer has come up with abs system faulty,

Customer Question

hi, our peugeot 207 computer has come up with abs system faulty, depollution system faulty and the speedo doesnt always work. all this has happened within the last 24 hours
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The common denominator here is the dash cluster unit..

Its highly unlikely you would have a fault with each separate system just like that.....

The dash clusters do go faulty and cause all different problems etc - such as you describe and others...

They are basically an electronic computer unit in their own right that is prone to failure as any other......

However, what you should do now is have a local Peugeot dealer or a suitably equipped local garage - plug diagnostic equipment into the OBD - diagnostic socket - and this will pinpoint the problem straightaway and then you can progress from there...

These Peugeot's also run the electrics through various multifunction units - to the dash cluster - and the fault may be there too - Its very difficult to say exactly which for sure at this point - which is why I recommend having the diagnostic tests done first to be sure ...

Check also the earth connections in and around the engine bay - as any poor earth can cause such faults too...so just check those first just in case.. and go from there as above..

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your response, after reading up on problems with other peoples 207s it seems a common problem so dont peugeot know how to fix it?
also is it going to be costly?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
HI again.. thank you for your reply..

It is a common issue yes - right thoughout the range ... There is a company based down Kent area.. they do all these sorts of repairs - I will give you the contact number if thats a help to you - it will mean sending the dash cluster / unit to them for test and repair..

Their number is 0 1 63 4 6 8 7 22 2 ... Give it a while - sometimes they take a while to answer as they get very busy - but they will answer... and they will be able to sort this out for you ....

Cost wise - its difficult to say - simply because it could be a simple chip replacement to several things needing doing to it .. I really couldn't say and wouldn't want to mislead you at all - but they will tell you on the phone typical repair costs etc....

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds... MIKE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi, sorry i havent paid you as yet but will do as your very useful.
we took the car into peugeot and they have got back to me stating we need a new abs ecu at a cost of 600 pounds which we cant afford it in one go but im more worried about the fact that they state they are only 95% sure its that. is there anyway the computer could need reseting? is it possible?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

Ok- the best thing to do then is to contact that company on the number I gave you in my previous reply....They do the testing on these units too - so you could opt to have the unit removed and sent to them.

They will then contact you and let you know for sure if its faulty - testing is about £35. so is well worth it of there is some indecision - and then you can progress from there knowing exactly which way to go...

Thats the best thing to do - and too - if it does need the Abs unit, that company will supply you , usually a lot cheaper than Peugeot prices...

I doubt re setting would do anything but you can try it.. Its a case of disconnecting the battery etc - the procedure for that is as follows.. The procedure is very specific for these models - so follow it precisely...

Method for unplugging the battery:

1. Before unplugging the battery, turn off all gadgets and lights, closing all the doors and unplugging any kind of diagnostic tool. The drivers side window has to be kept open for any kind of requirement.
  2. Turn off the ignition and take out the key following which unplug the battery after an interval of 3 minutes.
  3. The BSI needs to be taken to Sleep mode or Active Economy mode, during which nothing in the vehicle should be operating. Even the bonnet should not be opened that time as it can ‘wake up' the BSI if the vehicle has got an alarm installed. For batteries under the bonnet, the bonnet should be opened and left up before allowing the BSI to go to Sleep Mode. During this 3 minute interval, use of any remote control central locking gadgets for other vehicles should be avoided in the vicinity of the concerned vehicle.

Method for connecting the battery:

The following procedure is for reinstalling the battery connection unless told otherwise by Peugeot or Product service. Failure to follow this procedure may result in damage to the BSI's embedded software during reconnection.

1. All the doors have to be closed with the ignition key turned off and the key taken out.
  2. Now without opening the doors, replug the battery and wait for 10 seconds.
  3. Turn on the headlights, turn on the engine and inspect the system's functioning.
If that works - great.. but if not, then carry on as above..

Please dont forget then the Accept button - you can always get back to me afterward - just by using the reply button if need be ...

Best Rgds.... MIKE

Edited by Mike on 1/12/2010 at 1:42 AM EST