Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

My rover 45 windscreen heater will not get hot. it blows..blows cold

my rover 45 windscreen heater will not get hot. it blows cold constantly.
the engine is warm and there is water in the radiator.
any advice please?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Can you tell me the mileage on the car ?

What is its service / recent repair history?

When you say it won't blow hot air on the screen - does it blow hot in other directions - or is all cold ?

Has the engine overheated at all - on the gauge or otherwise ?

Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI

MILEAGE ABOUT 80,000

LAST SERVICE OVER A YEAR AGO NO RECENT REPAIRS

NO HOT AIR AT ALL

ENGINE HAS NOT OVER HEATED BUT WAS LOW ON WATER.

THANKS
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply...

You very probably have an airlock - some models can be very difficult to rid them....

However, there's a good chance that the thermostat needs renewing. If that hasn't been done - renew that first as that is highly likely to be the issue..and go from there...

Obviously you will need to bleed the system then too..

To do this and give it every chance - when you come to fill the system - make sure you use a 50-50 mix of antifreeze / water.. then , switch the heater control to Hot... then , fill the system - slowly - don't be tempted to rush it - fill it slow - and open the bleed nipple on the system -you will find that on the metal pipe..

When the water gets to the level in the tank , start the engine - allow to idle until it gets up to temp - top up as needed... and leave running till the fan comes on...

If the gauge is getting high and the fan is not on - rev the engine rhythmically until it does...and make sure the water level is topped up... Don't open to top up if its hot - allow to cool and refill - repeat the procedure...

Doing all that will cure it.. IF you still have problems after that - call be a local garage, one that has whats called a pressure filler / bleeder... this fills cooling systems and automatically gets rid of air locks - and will cure that for good for you if you struggle.... but working through as above will usually cure this for you.

Make sure the coolant / expanison cap is in good condition too..renew if needed..

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.