vauxdoc
vauxdoc, vauxhall master tech
Experience:  over 25 years from viva to vectra
10908802

I have a 2005 Vauxhall Combo van, with serious starting problems,

I have a 2005 Vauxhall Combo van, with serious starting problems, it turns over for ages and ages before firing, I have changed the starting relay, starter moter, glow plugs and battery to no avail. I have also put a bottle of injector cleaner through the tank. Also when it has started it runs well but if you floor the accelerator it takes a few seconds before it actually revs the engine. Do i have some kind of fuel problem or is there something else electrical i have missed?
Welcome to Just Answer, There are 2 common things that cause poor cold starting on the Z13dt engine.

First is contaminated injectors, the needle in the injectors stick open resulting in low fuel pressure in the common rail, this can be seen looking at live data on a diagnostic computer, or alternatively the injectors can be removed and tested at a Bosch diesel centre.

Next is that the timing chains stretch and in effect the valve timing is out until the oil pressure builds enough to open up the hydraulic tensioner, this tensions and the timing goes in synch. and then fires up.

Both of these faults have exactly the same symptoms, i.e. when left over night they have to crank and crank until they fire and are OK for the rest of the day until feft overnight again.

I hope this helps, Best regards, Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Its not just cold mornings though, its every morning or afternoon
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also if the car has been running, you can leave it for up to about 4 hours and it will fire first time does this help in diognosing what it could be? Many Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One more thing regarding the chain stretching, would this happen after only 50k miles as this is all the van has done. Regards

Joe

Hello again, I n the dealership we would first carry out a leak off test, this requires specialist equipment, if they showed signs of a fault we would have them tested at a Bosch centre.

The chains do stretch at that kind of mileage, hundreds of post office vans had theirs replaced for this fault.

The more hap hazzard nature could also be a faulty EGR .

The 3 faults i have mentioned can all have a very similar effect and I can not say exactly which one or combination is yours .

We would start at the cheaper option of injector testing, then try an EGR after these we would replace the chain.

Best regards, Vauxdoc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
Thanks for using our site Joe, happy new year, regards, Vauxdoc.