Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

My car alarm keeps going off (honda civic). Just found that

My car alarm keeps going off (honda civic). Just found that when i press the remote locking button nothing happens but the car locks with the key. Any idea what the problem is?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Are you meaning, pressing the button on the key remote doesn't work?

Rgds.. MIKE................
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, pressing the button on the key does nothing. I have also tried the spare and nothing. The car can only lock with the key in the lock. The alarm goes off every 45 mins
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply..

The fact that both keys ( remotes ) are not working, suggests you have developed a problem / fault with the receiver unit on the car - or the main control module for the system - both of which do happen on these..

Check the fuse - fuse number 25 ( 20 amp ) in the fascia fuse box - which is located on the end panel of the dash - you have to open the drivers door to access that ... Replace if blown and retry --

Other than that - Im afraid there's not much you can do on a DIY basis with this - it s going to need hooking up to a Honda diagnostic machine which will connect into the diagnostic side of the security system and will reveal the fault ...and then it can be fixed from there.....

What you can try - and it does sometimes work so its worth trying - is disconnect the cars battery - for 30 mins - and then reconnect and retry... As the system is controlled essentially by a computerised module - if it has just "glitched" - in much the same way as your home PC does... that will re activate it - so its worth a try...

If it works, great - if not - you will have to do as above...

If you do opt to try as above, you may need to enter your radio security code so make sure you have that ..

If the alarm keeps going off - the only thing you can do is disconnect the battery -so you could combine the two.. leave it off overnight even and lock the car manually for now..until you can get it looked at as above..

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have to wait until daylight i think.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
HI again, Yes indeed.. that would be better ;)

I hope that helps you - ultimately it will one way or the other you will get it sorted out...

Please take a moment to leave a little Feedback using the Feedback tab - I'd appreciate that - and thank you for using myself and justanswer - you are Welcome back anytime..

Best Rgds.. MIKE