Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Skoda fabia VRS. Will turn but will not start. Have checked

Customer Question

Skoda fabia VRS. Will turn but will not start. Have checked oil and water, fuses.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Could you give me some more background please...

Did the car breakdown or is it a plain non - start?

Have you had any warning lights on while driving at all of late?

What mileage does it have - and what is its service / recent repair history?

What exactly is happening when you try to start - ?

Plus any other info that you may have that would help me , to help you - ?

KInd Rgds.. MIKE......................
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My car Broke down while driving. When I tried to start it it just turned over. It was last service 14 months ago. the milage is 29000.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

Okay - as that has happened - always the first thing to check is the timing belt which I note you have done - but - make sure you check it -viewing it while someone turns the engine on the key... this is because the belt can look in tact - but in fact it could have stripped teeth -even at that mileage - in which case it wont turn when the key is turned - so check that first..

If thats found to be the case.. that would be the problem and that would need further investigation then..

If you are sure the belt is ok - then , Im assuming all the normal lights etc come on on the dash board indicating no main fuses have blown , so then you need to be checking the fuel supply... the pump may have failed - which isn't uncommon - so check for that at the filter..at the front of the engine bay..

After that - you will struggle to find the fault yourself Im afraid without diagnostic equipment...

These do suffer with ECT sensor failure but that wouldn't' normally cause a full breakdown while running but it can't be ruled out...but again - diagnostic testing has to be done next. You cant even check fuel injection properly on these engines with the injectors being in the head etc - The injector look sometimes fails - but not usually on all four at one...

So check as above , making sure of the belt situation first - but after that , you will need the systems check as above Im afraid to find out whats gone wrong.. you can either use a dealer locally - or a suitably equipped ( diagnostic machine - wise ) local garage or mobile mechanic... and then you will get there with it..

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.