Bill_Crosby
Bill_Crosby, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  City & Guilds Vauxhall Master Technician & Auto Electrician Since 1993
16358693

vauxhall astra van..window battery light and oil light on on dash

got a vauxhall astra van 1.7td 1999.turn van off lock door.looked in the window battery light and oil light on on dash ?

Good morning, I hope I can help you.

This fault is usually caused by the alternator or a wiring fault at the alternator.

Bill.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
got a new alternator on it bill, about 3 weeks old.thanks

If you have new alternator and fault is occurring then either the alternator is faulty or its wiring is.

The only other possibility is a faulty ignition switch but if the engne starts ok and you are able to switch it off with the key then it wont be the switch. When the switch goes faulty you usually find you have to stall the engine to switch it off.

Bill.

Edited by Bill_Crosby on 12/23/2009 at 1:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
starts ok,switchs off ok no problem.think i mite of solved it.took batterey leads off cleaned turminals and cleaned and replaced earth strap to body work.all ok at the moment.no lights comein up on dash.thanks anyway bill.

All I can say is that I was close. Battery connections and alternator connections are basically the same but at different ends of the connection.

Bill.