Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Hi, I purchased a car battery from Halfords for my toyota celica

Hi, I purchased a car battery from Halfords for my toyota celica (2005) but it does not fit. All batteries recommended for celicas on the internet seem to be the same size. Does the mount need to be removed?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

You do sometimes get this problem when you fit batteries that are non original , ie, non Toyota... but , you will be able to find a battery from a different supplier that will fit properly and with the bracket fitted..

Do a search on yell.com - to find a specific car battery supplier - one that specialises - you will be able to get a battery that fits properly then..

Re your comment - re the size of batteries... Physical size and power output of the batteries will be the same - but its the design -

If the battery has an over the top fitting clamp - thats where these problems arise..

If however, its a base clamp fitting - that clips on to the bottom ledge of the battery - look closely at the battery - there is often a plastic insert that is to be removed.. then the battery will fit.

If you simply cannot get the battery to fit in any way - with a clamp - the battery you have can be fitted without the hold down clamp - but its not ideal.. One of the most common causes of premature battery failures in cars, is down to vibration - caused by the lack of a fitting clamp... so while the battery will physically work - I wouldn't recommend you use that one - rather - locate and fit a proper fitting one..

I Sincerely hope I have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.