Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

2006 Honda Civic: The tailgate lock..latch..manually..defect

The tailgate lock on my 5 door 2006 Honda Civic will not open using the outside latch. It must be manually unlatched from the inside. What is the defect here? Jim

4.00 pm Just solved the problem. I used key in tandem with the rere door latch and it opens fine now. It is opening as normal for the time being. Hope this is the end of the problem. Jim.
Hello Jim - Welcome to justanswer..

Im sorry that no one got to you earlier.. Doing what you have may have just re aligned the catch inside - sometimes they come adrift and it may never do it again..

If it does, you will have to remove the panel - have a look inside and you will see whats going wrong.. Usually its the link rod either detached in part - and doing what you did re aligned it - or a fault with the barrel...

But at least you can use it for now... but thats what you will need to do if it occurs again...

Best Rgds.. MIKE Mentor