Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Peugeot: HDI..smoothly..revs..stationary and running, and there

Hi

I have a peugeot 206 HDI sw and the dreaded 'Anti-Pollution Fault' light always comes on.

It still ran smoothly at first, but now often revs too high when stationary and running, and there is quite a loss of power unless I flatten the accelerator.

Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago via AskTheMechanic.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The light / message that you have on now is typical of the Peugeot models - because they have an anti pollution device called a DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter system installed ... and they need particular service every so many thousand miles - usually around the 80,000 miles mark...

Basically what will need doing if its around that mileage, is to have the system serviced as I say - which includes cleaning of the DPF system filters - and replenishing of the special injection system fluid ...

Then when the whole procedure has been done - they use diagnostic equipment to reset the "timer" on the Ecu - control unit computer system on the car - and thats that for the next 80,000 miles or so...

Peugeot dealers are best used for this because its a specialised job that requires specialised equipment ...

Some smaller garages are equipped to do the job - you would have to ring round locally... Typically Peugeot will charge around 90 - 100£ for this job..unless it needs a whole new DPF which some do - that would be more expensive of course - and you would need then to discuss that at the time .

What you can try -if the mileage is not close to 80k... is to do this... Take the car on a run - you need a good clear road - motorway ideally - where you can drive the car - in 4th gear - for a sustained period of 15 - 20 miles at 60 mph. This has the effect of getting the exhaust particulate system hotter than normal and so if its just clogging - this will generally clean the system up. If that works, on the next start up, the message will be off... so you can try that as I say.. but if it is close to the 80,000 , you may as well have it done properly as it will need the new fluid - tank replenishing , the light ( message ) will not go out if this is the case...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks a lot, Mike, that's a great help.

There's lots of threads on forums about the anti-pollution warning, and most talk about the DPF too. But could it be anything else? - As sit seems it's a problem even some Peugeot garages can't work out.

Also, could you recommend a garage I could try in the east London area?

Kind regards

Chris
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Chris... thank you for your reply..

You do occasionally get odd ones ( Peugeot's / Citroen's ) that have incessant problems even after doing the normal "routine" as described above on the DIY route and then too the Peugeot route if needed - but to be honest , its not many... ie, you only get to hear about the "troublesome" ones that are written up on those forums etc - whereas hundred of others are done successfully everyday throughout the country..

So if you go as I said above ..Im sure you will have yours sorted no problem - It will be that - ...

As to what garage to use.. you need to use one that has a good knowledge of these systems - and the equipment to reset the Ecu afterwards... To be honest, a lot of the problems that arise with the systems after being done are caused by people / garages doing them and not doing them properly..

I would honestly recommend your local Peugeot dealer for this - they have the knowledge and the equipment - and it will be done right..and not as expensive as you might perhaps think ... Give them a ring to get a quote .

You could also use the Good Garages website if you want to look for a different garage.. click the link..

I hope that helps you further Chris..

Best Rgds, MIKE..

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike

I took my car to Robins & Day, Peugeot dealers in Ilford.

They ran a diagnostics test but found nothing wrong (even though there were an airbag fault warning light as well the anti-pollution one).

The mechanic did as follows:
1. Checked for K light on dash
2. Read ECU memory
3. Checked operation of accelerator position sensor
4. Checked operation of airflow metre
5. Carried out insulation test of harness and tightened connection to flow sensor and ECU accelerator 'something' (can't read his writing!) wires, and checked all earth 'something' (and again!)
6. Re-initialised ECU and road tested.

Summary nothing wrong, but if fault persists, a new engine harness and flow sensor will be required. Cost: £897.82!!

Of course there's something wrong. The anti-pollution light came back on before I even got home, and the same issue with the high revs and loss of power keeps occurring.

They said it wasn't the DPF, but from the above did he even check? He didn't even notice the airbag fault light and I have to go back next week for that (free of charge luckily).

Could it be anything else? If it isn't then I'll obviously ask around for a better quote for the engine harness.

Many thanks

Chris
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello there Chris...

Okay..the fact that they have come up with no fault codes is a but worrying ..as the light is on, you would expect at least one ! I might have expected to see a P0221 code - accelerator position sensor as thats a common fault with these if nothing else is showing up - but, maybe its not so surprising - as they missed the air bag problem altogether!!

I think the best thing is to , when you go back , discuss this with the Service Manager - and tell him you are not going to be paying out 900£ for what seems no more than a guess...

Ask them to get advice from Peugeot Technical themselves if they can't fathom it ..they can do that - and I think that should be done if they are struggling..

The APP problem I mentioned above is a common one -but would normally show a code - so I would ask them to check that carefully - and often its a trapped / chaffed wire from the sensor as opposed to a faulty sensor so have them check that too..

I would approach them with all this - and have them ask Peugeot for advice -see what they have to say..and go from there Chris..

See how you get on and let me know and by all means ask me again , if I can help you anymore , I will..

Best Rgds.. MIKE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks a lot, Mike

Is the APP the same as the DPF?

I'll get back to you soon ..hopefully with the answer to the problem!

Chris
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi there Chris..

No - the DPF is the Diesel Particulate Filter (system) and the APP is the Accelerator Pedal Position -sensor..(& circuit )...

Best Rgds.. MIKE...