Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Renault: 1.9 dci it cuts..dies..engine management light..fires

I have a renault trafic 1.9 dci it cuts out sometimes when coming off round abouts or junctions, this happens when you put the power back on it dies then stops and engine management light comes on. Then when you turn the key to start it again it churns a little then fires up. Do have any suggestions its got most people baffled? not to mention very annoying, many thanks Paul
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello Paul - Welcome to justanswer..

Can I just ask - other than the injectors - have you had any other parts fitted at all?

Have you had any diagnostics done on it - and if so - what were the results of that ?

What mileage does the van have?

Rgds... MIKE.................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi, no other parts fitted, diagnostic should low fuel pressure and something to do with clutch sensor if i remember rightly?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi again...

Okay good- this is adding up nicely now ;)

You need to replace / renew the clutch pedal sensor / switch..

This is a common cause of what you describe on these Renaults... which is why I was trying to glean info from you to be sure..

You may have low pressure on the diesel system but its not low enough, bad enough to cause problems otherwise you would be having starting problems etc..

Cutting out like this is down to that clutch switch as I say (located above the clutch pedal ) ...when you press it - this cutting the revs to the engine ..because you are coming to a stop / slow down.. etc.. and the switch should switch and send that info to the Ecu...( engine management computer) to tell the ecu what you have done..and teh ecu then controls the fueling etc to compensate .... With no signal going from a fault switch... you get a cut out...

So renew that and that will sort this for you ... Check the wiring too , make sure the connections are all ok..

Get the new switch from a Renault dealer ..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've just been told by a renault technician that it is more likely to be the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, many thanks Paul
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again - thank you for your reply..

Well as the diagnostics showed that and the clutch pedal sensor switch - it could be the pressure regulator but they don't often fail.

Too - the clutch sensor switch is showing up as a fault and this is a common fault which is why I highlighted it for you .

It could be one or the other to be honest with you.. but as both are showing -its a toss up which to go for first in any given situation... but I would always go for the most common first..for the reasons explained above.

I hope that helps you further..

Best Rgds , MIKE

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.