Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Ive got a 2007 Hyundai Getz. The battery has gone flat because

I've got a 2007 Hyundai Getz. The battery has gone flat because the car hasn't been used in months. I have an automatic battery charger that I got from Halfords. Can I simply remove the "maintenance free" battery that was factory supplied with the car and charge it? How do I remove the battery form the Getz? There is a big plastic cap sitting over the positive terminal that won't move. Thanks for your help.
Hello and Welocme to justanswer..

You can just remove the battery but to be honest you dont have to just to charge it with a trickle charger... just disconnect the Neg terminal.....

You can hook up your charger to the battery terminals in situ - That red cap should just come off - they can be a bit "stuck" sometimes - but it just clips off...and then just connect to the terminals...

The only thing I would be concerned about , is , if the car hasn't been used for so long - and you are getting absolutely nothing on the dash - then the battery will be stone dead - and I would doubt that your charger will work on it ... When a battery has gone so low / dead... it won't "restart" - because the electro charge ( electrolyte ) has dropped so low it wont "re ignite"...

You can try it - and if it works - great - but it may not - you may need a new battery...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Mike,

I'm a bit concerned that the battery will be as dead as a dodo, but I already had the charger so I reckon its worth a go. I'll go and fight with it tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help.

Hi again..

I hope it all goes well for you - and Thank you for the kind feedback..

You know where I am if anything else crops up ever ;)

Kind Rgds, MIKE..