wefwef
wefwef, Technical support engineer
Experience:  20 years experience,15 with Renault as master technician,technical support for 2 major manufacturers

my renault kangoo van 665 1.9d x-reg 135k miles, is a nightmare

Customer Question

my renault kangoo van 665 1.9d x-reg 135k miles, is a nightmare to start on a cold morning. Once started rest of the day is fine. I have changed the glow plugs and checked for voltage at start up, all ok. when eventually (after heating plugs 5-6 times) she does fire, there is a big puff of white smoke from the exhaust. this morning however, it wouldnt start at all and i nearly run the battery flat. but when i attempted a bump start, she caught straight away, Can you help me please
Category: UK Car
Expert:  wefwef replied 4 years ago.
Hi, when you switch on the ignition do you get a clicking noise from the injection pump or not, and when cranking the engine does the rev counter do anything? Has this problem occured after any work carried out? Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is a clicking noise from the ignition pump, theres no rev counter. Ive had no work carried out, changed glow plugs in summer used to start fine, although still a bit sluggish in the mornings. have been told to check the fuel lines for air as the problem only occurs when engine cold and very difficult when the weather is very cold. Noticed this morning, to the right front of engine is what looks like a pump with a best described as a hand pump next to it and there is a bleed valve on top of it. I pumped this hand pump this morning and it started a lot better, unfortunately hayes dont do a manual for a kangoo which makes it a nitemare, as you can imagine. not being a mechanic it makes it very difficult to identify things, your help and guidance would be very much appreciated, thankyou
Expert:  wefwef replied 4 years ago.
Hi, the reason why I ask about the clicking noise is that the advance solenoid on the front of the pump can stick and doesn't click anymore but gives various running issues. If yours is clicking I don't think this is the problem. If you use the priming ball and the engine starts better, then as mentioned you may have air entering the fuel lines and the reason why it is difficult to start is that the fuel pump is sucking the fuel from the tank and having to get rid of the air first. If your Kangoo has got the clear fuel lines then when you leave the vehicle see if you can see where the air bubbles start from which if it is a joint may be where the air is entering. Most of these fuel lines are plastic with push on connectors and over time can develop slight air ingress. I would advise replacing the fuel filter and ensuring you use a Renault item to ensure the correct fit. If you have the removable element typr ensure the housing is cleaned thoroughly and check for any defects in the plastic that may cause air ingress. I have seen the fuel lines replaced for air ingress, so if you find that you have got a large amount of air in the fuel line first thing in the morning I would advise replacing the fuel lines as this could also cure the issue. Unfortunately there is no real science to tracing the air ingress, just basic looking/elimination and trial and error. The hand pump you mention is a priming ball and is used to pull fuel from the tank when changing the fuel filter and to remove the air from the fuel lines alongside the bleed screw. The reason for asking about the rev counter is I have seen starter motors give off radio interference whilst cranking which can cause a non start, and bump starting starts straight away because you are not using the starter motor, but from your description I think the air in fuel is most likely and you should see this when you look in a morning. I hope this helps. Kind regards