Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Golf: I disable the alarm..Keeps going

How do I disable the alarm when lock my Mk5 golf? Keeps going off. Temporary measure until I'm able to have it sorted properly. Are there any dashboard messages I can access to indicate what's triggering it?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

In the engine bay main fuse box - there are three - but this is identified in that this has the most fuses / relays in it - fuses 47, 48 , 49 and 52... large amp fuses..and fuse 4 which is a small 5 amp fuse... all are to do with this circuit ... a blown fuse can cause such problems - so its worth checking there first ..

In the main fascia box - the main fuse box under a panel on teh drivers side edge of the dash - accessed by opening the drivers door - check fuse 15 - a 7.5 amp fuse , check fuse 25 a 25 amp and fuse 35 a 5 amp fuse..

NOw - all these are to do with mainly, the multifunction control unit that is to do with the alarm system...

However , check fuse 35 - the 5 amp one mentioned last - first... This one is solely for the alarm system... and if all else is ok / none are blown or replacing any doesn't work - then you can pull out that last fuse which should disable the alarm system for now for you until you get it looked at as you say..

As for why the alarm keeps activating - door , boot and bonnet switches failing are the most common faults causing this - The door switches are in the mechanism so thats not so easy to check - but you can check the bonnet, boot and glove box... Any of these failing will cause your problems and are quite common..

Another problem thats common if yours has interior ultrasonic sensors , is a failed sensor...

You can de activate the interior sensors with the key - the handbook will tell you how per your particular car.. Or - you can just tape some black insulation tape over them for now...to test. If that stops the alarm going off - then you have a failed sensor which would need renewing..

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.